5.29.2010

Lazy Saturday

I had some girlfriends over this morning. They are the very best kind of girlfriends in that they don't expect my house to be clean when they arrive, but are complimentary if it is. They know what I'm like and like me anyway. Heaven!

Anyhoo, Bun has recently started working, so I am not seeing nearly enough of her lately. She and CJ have been getting together on Saturday mornings for a while so I asked them both over to my house this week. Moms and sons arrived around 10:00 this morning. As it was noisy inside (David the contractor working on my stairs. On a Saturday, no less!) and lovely outside, we adjourned to the screen porch and let the kids run wild.

There is usually some kind of breakfast involved on the Saturday get-togethers. Ever an over achiever, I decided to make my sister's recipe for Apple Puff Pancake (recipe to follow). It has easily been ten years since I made it last. I had forgotten how good it was! It was a hit with the moms, but not so much with the kids. Luckily, we are well stocked up on cereal, dried blueberries, granola bars and milk. No one starved!

We talked about decorating and frustrating husbands and funny children and everything else under the sun. All too soon, the little guys were tired and my friends had to go home. Why is it that the kids are always ready to leave before the moms are done visiting? I am already looking forward to the next time!

Apple Puff Pancake

6 eggs
1½ cups milk
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick butter
2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar

Mix eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon in blender until well blended.  Mixture will be slightly lumpy.  Melt butter in 12-inch casserole dish in oven.  Add apples and return to oven until butter sizzles.  Remove from oven and pour batter over apples.  Sprinkle with brown sugar.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 425° or until puffed and golden.  Yields 6 to 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment junkie.
Thank you for feeding my habit.