1.12.2011

2011 House Plans

The hubs is dead set on paying off the house this year, so we are officially in poverty mode.  That said, there are still a bunch of projects around the house that I can do that a.) I already have the stuff for and b.) are free/cheaper than dirt.  Here is a list from front to back:

Front Porch:
  • Install new front porch lights that I got for Christmas
  • Paint front door red
  • Paint porch swing (and possibly wooden rockers from my parents' house) black.




Foyer/Stairs:
  • Browbeat David-the-Contractor into finishing the stair railing (it still wobbles).  You'd think that he would want to get this project finished before we hit the one-year mark next week.  He said he'd be here today, but here I am writing this...
  • Hang family portraits on stair wall.  This would include finally framing Q's baby portraits.  The second child SO gets the shaft.
  • Hang art in entryway.
  • Get mirror for empty frame above entry table.
  • Paint hideous brass chandy black and top with adorable mini-shades that were in my formal dining room in my last house to replace the much-too-small fixture in the entry.
Living Room:
  • Find a place for the painting that used to hang over the fireplace.  It was replaced by a gorg painting from my parents' house that was a better size.
  • Repair giant wicker flamingo that Holly mauled.  I think I am actually going to cover the wicker form with braided fabric rope a la a braided rug.  Colorful and not not missing vital parts!  Cool!
Kitchen and Dining Room:
(Not pictured: messy/embarrassing state of my kitchen)
  • Remove hideous wallpaper.
  • Remove chair rail and upside-down crown molding.
  • Paint beige-on-beige harlequins on kitchen walls.  I'm so stinkin' excited about this!
  • Build banquette.
  • Raise and re-cover Craig's-list wingback chairs to use as host chairs.
There are a ton of other non-cheap projects in the kitchen (new counters not held on with Scotch tape, an actual bar-height bar, built-ins, etc.), but alas, they won't be happening this year.

Laundry Room:
(Not pictured: hideously messy/embarrassing state of the dumping ground laundry room)
  • Make cafe curtains to hide my shame from the neighbors but still let in enough light to work.
  • Install more shelving/open storage for the less-used items from the kitchen
  • Possibly paint, but I have no idea what color.
Master Bedroom:
  • Install crown molding
  • Touch up paint (in the right light some areas are quite patchy).
Z's Room:
  • Paint yellow pine corner cabinet white
  • Wallpaper (okay, Contact Paper) the back of her shelves with SO cute green pattern
  • Sew pillow shams and second dust ruffle
If I want to get really crazy, I have an idea for a 'border' treatment around the ceiling that could be really cute, but I may save that for when other things are looking more finished.



Q's Room:
  • Finish rope detail around his ceiling
  • Put together his big-boy bed.
  • Buy/make big-boy bedding.


Kids' Bathroom:
  • Prime/paint sand and sky colors (like I had in the old house).  Possibly with chair rail, but probably just paint treatment with palm trees.
  • Make frames to hang over the builder-grade giant mirror
  • Spray paint the TP holder to match other finishes in the bathroom.

 Sewing Room/My Office:

  • Paint walls palest aqua.
  • Convert daybed to 'couch' (a small construction project) and upholster with fabulous cocoa-polka-dotted fabric.
  • Build custom desk that runs the length of the room with space for both my sewing machine and computer, with plenty of storage for sewing and crafting supplies.
  • Make a window treatment.
Guest Room:
  • Hang curtains that mom-in-law bought me.
  • Hang art.
  • Add accessories that haven't make it out of storage.
Guest Bath:
  • Find some art.
  • Circle border treatment like I saw at House*Tweaking, but with more colors.


Kids' Den:
  • Hang art - especially cool David Bromstad-esque deer portrait I made T for Christmas
  • Get kids' computer stations set up and running.
  • Find a home for all of the stuff in boxes from my parents' house.
I found the fabric I want to use for curtains in this room, but it will require some serious yardage (five windows!), so this may be a project for another year.

Oh, is that all?  Looks like it will be a busy year, poverty-mode or not!

PS - I joined the Home Plans party at Nesting Place.  People have big plans for this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment junkie.
Thank you for feeding my habit.