9.09.2008

Wrong Side of the Bed

Today was a study in stellar parenting. (Read: crappy parenting.) Have you ever had one of those days where you just couldn't shake your bad mood? Today was that day for me.

It all started last night when I neglected to check if Z used the potty before bedtime (she didn't) which resulted in her having an accident in the wee (no pun intended!) pre-dawn hours. Which, for the record, was the first time she has wet the bed since we started potty training around two years ago. Anyway, I had to get up and change the sheets. This wasn't a big deal. Z went right back to bed and so did I. What seemed like a nanosecond later I heard Q waking up some time prior to 7:00. I. am. so. tired. And in this house, a tired mama is a MEAN mama.

I dragged my sleep deprived self out of bed and began the morning routine. I just couldn't move fast enough to suit Z and so started the hounding. I asked her to let me have a few minutes to wake up, but that seemed to translate to her having to follow me around, getting under my feet and tugging on my clothes.

"Is breakfast ready yet? When will it be ready? I'm hungry. Can I have my breakfast? No, I don't like that kind of cereal. Yes, I do! I WANT it! Give me a peach! I don't like those peaches." Imagine this on an endless loop at a volume that makes your ears bleed. It just went downhill from there. Before long, she was grabbing things from her brother and he was howling at decibels audible from space.

Meanwhile, the hubby slept. That didn't make me feel resentful at all. He didn't get off work until 1:00a.m., so he went to bed an hour or two after I did, but he was not at all disturbed by the early morning commotion and slept peacefully on until 10:30, leaving me silently seething and becoming crabbier and crabbier until he finally got up. So now I'm cross with the children and the husband. Good times.

Luckily, the planets were aligned correctly today so both kids took a nap at the same time. I fell into bed the minute I closed their doors and slept like the dead. I'd like to say that everything was all goodness and light when we woke up, but that would be a lie. But I do think that my little nap did keep me from permanently scarring the children. Z's not going to remember this, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment junkie.
Thank you for feeding my habit.