1.03.2010

Afterthought

After thinking about my resolutions a bit (and reading a lot of yours, too!) I decided that I needed to add one. So here it is:

5. I will make an effort to be a better domestic engineer.

As you know if you have read my blog at all, I am the first to admit I am a lackluster housekeeper at best. Clean enough to sanitary - barely - and drowning in clutter. It's not like I don't like a clean house, but if the choice is put the dishes in the dishwasher/de-clutter the living room/hang up the clean clothes or get some sleep/read a book/take a shower, the latter wins by a landslide. Present me screws future me every time.

I have been thinking about it, and being a home maker is my job and I haven't been doing it particularly well. In a professional setting, I would not be doing bad enough to get fired, but I wouldn't be climbing the corporate ladder either. When I was working outside the home, that would never have been okay with me.

My plan is this: I will take those few extra minutes after meals and before bed to take care of the smallish tasks before little undone chores become junk-sucking vortexes (vorteces? vorteci?) of clutter and become monumental tasks. Once it reaches those epic proportions, I feel defeated before I have even started. My theory is that if I can get it clean, keeping it clean shouldn't be quite so hard.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, good luck!! I am a lackluster housekeeper, too. I can always find something else to do. I have been messy since I was a kid. And I have always HATED to clean, especially the bathroom and mopping the floors. My sister likes cleaning, but that gene must have skipped me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, slap me if you've already heard this... but have you ever tried FlyLady.com? I have friends who swear by her methods. (I'm not one of them - but there is no power on earth strong enough to attract me to housecleaning! Oh, except for that show "Hoarders." That? Makes me want to throw away every single scrap of everything in each and every closet and never look back.)

    ReplyDelete

I am a comment junkie.
Thank you for feeding my habit.