6.02.2010

Golden Anniversary

Yesterday was my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.  It was bittersweet for me since Mom has Alzheimer's and Daddy was in the hospital.  It was hard to know what to do to honor such an amazing achievement.  Luckily, Sister K knew just what to do.  I hope she doesn't mind if I share her heartfelt letter here:

Dear Daddy,

As you can tell, your children are at a loss on how to commemorate this day.  No matter that Mom is in a home, it is a beautiful story that the two of you have created and should be celebrated.  To me, it's the stuff from movies- the kind that both of us like.  The quiet, handsome cowboy/officer falls for and woos the beautiful, intelligent girl.  He saves her from a small-town life and whisks her away to see the world.

And that's just the beginning. The strong team that the two of you made created a strong sense of family and security for all of us.  I always get a kick out of the fact that it is so clear that you find Mom so attractive.  The love, affection, and respect you show her is a good model for what we should expect from the relationships in our lives.  Seeing a strong relationship in action is a gift that not every child gets to witness.  My only complaint is that the actual lack of arguments left me unprepared to have any with my own spouse.

The love story does not end with the many happy times we all shared, which makes it even more poignant.  The great care and attention you have given to Mom since she became ill exceeds that in the greatest love stories.  Reading it in a story or seeing it in a movie does not compare to seeing the real dedication of a husband to his wife. Mom has been well loved for the last 50 years.  I hope you are proud of what you have given her and to all of your children.  I know that if she could tell you herself she would tell you that you have been cherished for being a noble, loving (and handsome) husband. 

This love match has been a good one.  Congratulations on your anniversary.

Love,

K

Ditto, Sister K.  I love you Mom and Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment junkie.
Thank you for feeding my habit.