1.09.2009

My Friend Amy's Book Challenge - Poison Study Review




Here it is January 9, and I have read not one, but two books, thus fulfilling the reading requirement for My Friend Amy's Book Challenge for January. Yay me

This month I read Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. This a fantasy novel opens up with the main character, Yelena, in the dungeon having confessed to killing a man. She is rescued from the gallows and offered a position as a poison taster for the military dictator of Ixia.

I slurped this book down like a Sonic Coke on a hot day. I simply could not put it down. I liked the heroine because she was plucky and smart. The plot moved quickly and there were many surprising twists. Action. Intrigue. Romance. A little something for everyone. When I did put the book down - a girl has to sleep, yes? - I literally dreamed of the characters.

LOVED it.

As a matter of fact, I loved it so much that I immediately dived into the second book in the series, Magic Study. In this book, we follow Yelena's not so easy discovery of her native land of Setia, as well as her magic skills. Again, fast paced, lots of action and never predictable.

In my life before children, I would have read these books in a single sitting. If you like the fantasy genre, I highly recommend these books.

There is a third book in this series: Fire Study. I do not have it yet, as I am too cheap to buy it in hardback. I can not wait to read it!

Snyder has also started a second series set in Setia/Ixia. The first book is called Glass Storm and is based on a character introduced in Magic Study. I look forward to many books to come. I do love a book in a series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment junkie.
Thank you for feeding my habit.