1.29.2009

Story Time at the Library

Who knew Small Town had such a kick ass library? (Or lie-BRRR-ary, as Z says.) Not me! Slacker mom that I am, I have never managed to drag myself, Z or Q down there. In my defense, they are very clear that story time is for three-, four-, and five-year-olds only. Being the rule follower that I am, I didn't want to crash with an almost two-year-old.

Libraries have been in the air around our house lately. Z watches a lot of TV (I know! Slacker mom, again!), and libraries are a popular topic. We also have several books about libraries, including one about Curious George. The final match to the fire was when Z's reading-readiness magazine, Tessy and Tab, arrived, they too were headed for the library.

Today I finally gave in to Z's constant nagging heartfelt pleas and took her to story time. Two of her classmates were there, so Z felt right at home. I have to give my girl props. Her behavior was excellent. She sat still and paid attention and was quick to answer questions - even more so that kids quite a bit older than she!

Q, on the other hand, was a big fat pill. Huh. I guess that is why story time is for three-, four-, and five-year-olds only? Go figure. Anyway, he sat nicely through the first book and the first rendition of The Itsy Bitsy Spider, but then he was done. Two books and three songs too soon. He got up and started wandering around. Quietly at first, but then he started going behind the puppet stage and dragging out props. Oy! So I scooped him up and took him out into the main part of the children's section. And by doing so, breaking another rule: children MUST be accompanied by a parent at all times. Man, I can't win!

I spent the remainder of story time hovering in the doorway so I could keep an eye on both kiddos. The children's librarian was totally cool with Q being there and even thanked us for coming. (It was the other parents/grandparents who were giving us the hairy eyeball.) I'm guessing this wasn't her first rodeo and I'm not the first parent to struggle with multiple kids.

In the end, we got a library card and checked out a ton of books. The kids selected the books themselves. I was impressed with Z's selections. She picked titles I had never heard of: Traction Man is Here!; The Good Babies; and Moon Rooster, to name a few. I have read seven so far, and anticipate reading them a LOT before they are due next month!

2 comments:

  1. Library storytimes are some of my favorite free activities to do with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, two kids of different ages at story time was never easy for me. Either the younger kids story time was full of toddlers and finger plays which bored my 6 yr old or story time was for older kids and my younger one would raise hell and stick his fingers in electric sockets, lock the door etc.Good times :)

    ReplyDelete

I am a comment junkie.
Thank you for feeding my habit.