3.02.2011

Cauliflower Conquered

I got another cauliflower in my Bountiful Basket two weeks ago.  I put off using it until it was on the verge of spoiling since my last run in with broccoli's pale cousin was nothing short of a debacle.  Bun swears that she likes cauliflower pretty much any way you can make it, so I knew there must be some way of preparing cooked cauliflower that wasn't a total gag-fest.

She suggested roasting it, so that was my plan until I stumbled upon this recipe from 101 Cookbooks.  They called it Simple Cauliflower, and the seasonings were flexible and seemed similar to what Bun suggested, but the cooking time was reduced by 80 per cent.  For this last minute chef? Score!

The end result was delicious.  Even my super-picky-doesn't-try-new-things husband gave it a thumbs up.  The popcorn sized florets (that T even helped cut up - will the wonders ever cease?) were nicely browned and the garlic and parmesan were the perfect combo.  My version was a little less gourmet than the original recipe, but, I think, no less yummy.

Here is my new go to cauliflower recipe:

Simplified Cauliflower

1 head of cauliflower
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
1 clove garlic, minced (I used the jarred kind)
Grated Parmesan
To prep the cauliflower, remove any leaves at the base and trim the stem and cut it into tiny trees.  Most florets should be about the size of a piece of popcorn . Make sure the pieces are relatively equal in size, so they cook in the same amount of time. 

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the cauliflower and stir until the florets are coated. Wait until it gets a bit brown on the bottom, then toss the cauliflower with a spatula. Add seasonings to taste.  Brown a bit more and continue to saute until the pieces are deeply golden, about six minutes. In the last 30 seconds stir in the garlic.

Remove from heat and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Gobble it all up yourself.  Serve immediately.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment junkie.
Thank you for feeding my habit.